Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October - Also, National Diabetes Awareness Month


It’s a little strange that I found out about National Diabetes Awareness Month after learning about Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I say this because it has a huge impact, especially recently, on my life. Diabetes runs in women of my family. While any type of cancer is probably the scariest news I could think of getting in the doctors office, diabetes is very scary too. People with diabetes are almost twice as likely to suffer from a heart attack or stroke and heart disease is the number one killer of women in America. According to the American Diabetes Association 1 in 3 women will die of heart disease, compared to 1 in 9 women dying of breast cancer. For more information and the source of these statistics please see www.diabetes.org.
I’m currently blessed to say I have no been diagnosed- yet- it’s important for me to monitor my heath and weight though as it is for everyone!
If you’d like to donate to the cause or get involved, here’s more info! Look forward to me participating in next year’s StepOut! once my honoree has fully recovered from her heart attack. She didn’t want me to make “a fuss” over her and would rather walk with me if I did, so this year I will only be donating financially.
Ok, thanks for reading a very un-fun but important post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment